Toga's Ramblings

I'm a Samoan girl named Toga. Thanks for that, Dad.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

yes, i only have one child...

Last year a sister in the nursery was telling a story about her grandchildren fighting constantly and keeping her on her toes. After she found out I "only have one kid" she told me "Oh, that doesn't count, cause you only get one. You don't know what it's really like" She tried to laugh it off. I, however, did not. I just got up and left. What I really wanted to do was throw the toy boat I had in my hand at her face.
This isn't the first time women have said things to me regarding having "only one child". I've been told things like, "I wish you would have another baby" or "When are you going to have another one?" or "You only have one?" or my fave, "How many kids do you have? Just one? really? Don't you want someone for your son to play with?"
No, I am purposefully hiding my other children in my back pocket because I want Simione to play by himself.
I hate feeling like I'm not a "real" mom because I "only have one" child.  I hate feeling like I have to apologize to these women for not having more children. I feel almost ashamed that I only have one child. ONE perfectly imperfect, full of love, light, and life son. A son who has brought so much joy into my life, who has taught me what love and forgiveness really is. And because I "only have one" I am somehow "don't count" as a mom.
 I should've thrown the toy at that lady and every other lady who says these stupid things to me.

1 comment:

  1. you most definitely should have thrown the toy at her face or even shoved it down her throat! people can be so ignorant don't mind them. love you and your ONE child...two if you include alma :)

    ReplyDelete