Toga's Ramblings

I'm a Samoan girl named Toga. Thanks for that, Dad.

Friday, November 27, 2009

At least the potato salad was the bomb...

This year has been a year of "firsts" for Alma and I. We were married in March (yay) and so we've had the wonderful opportunity to spend the holidays together for the first time ever. Yesterday was our first Thanksgiving as a married couple. It was a bittersweet day for me. This was the first Thanksgiving I was not at home with my family, but this was the first Thanksgiving I was with Alma. :)
We had talked earlier in the week about what we wanted for dinner. We both decided to ex the turkey because it was just the two of us and we're not big fans of turkey unless it comes in a form of sandwich meat. haha! Instead we opted for steaks. yummy! Alma got off Thanksgiving morning and put the ham in our crock pot, that way it can slow cook and be ready by the time it was time to eat. So smart, that guy. Our menu consisted of ham, steaks, potato salad, stuffing, and hawaiian rolls. For the drinks, Alma bought us a few bottles of Martinelli's Apple/Grape cider (Thanks to Tim, we're hooked on that stuff!). The menu sounded delicioso!
While Alma slept, I cleaned the house and got dinner ready. He was going to grill our steaks when he woke up, so all I had to do were the side dishes. It was a slow day for me, because I wasn't with my family. It was weird having to cook Thanksgiving dinner. Usually mom does all that while we go to Dawson park for our annual turkey bowl.
When the ham was ready, I woke Alma up to grill our steaks. Of course when he goes out to grill them, he comes back in and tells me we've run out of propane. We probably should've checked that earlier in the week when we decided to have turkey for Thanksgiving. But all was not lost. He just "grilled" the steaks on our stove top. Something he didn't want to do, because apparently steaks are better when they're grilled instead of fried. Whatever.
The food is ready, the table is set and we're ready to eat. We bow our heads and give thanks to our Father in Heaven. I bite my lip, trying to fight back the tears. All day I had been thinking of how much we have been blessed and my heart was full. I purposely had Alma say the prayer, so I wouldn't have to pray and wet our dishes with my tears. lol.
We had a lot of food for just the two of us! We only had one serving, because we got so full. I know, totally weird. hehe. We sit on the couch and watch a movie. We're not really paying attn to the movie because we're talking and laughing so much. Alma then leans over to me and says, "Babe, I'm sorry dinner didn't turn out so well." I laugh and say, "What? It was perfect." He shakes his head and tells me, "I didn't like my steak." I laugh more and say, "I liked mine. Hun. It was fine. really. I almost finished mine." He looks away for a second and then says, "I didn't like the ham, either." I laugh even louder and a half a second later I admit to him, "Yeah, I didn't like the ham...or the steak" We both crack up laughing. He looks at me and says, "At least the potato salad was the bomb" I agreed.
Next year I'm hoping my cooking skills will be on point or else we're going to the buffet. So I guess, we'll be going to the buffet. lol.

3 comments:

  1. lmbo!! it's fun to start your own traditions as a couple and soon as a family. love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao.....you guys are too cute...that so something my husband would say too.....good thing I did all the cooking too! lol Great Blog Toga

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww...thanks for sharing your guys thanksgiving day experience. i think that it was really nice that you two spent the day together...just the two of you. you two are too funny! now you have a great story to tell your kids. love you guys!

    ReplyDelete