Toga's Ramblings

I'm a Samoan girl named Toga. Thanks for that, Dad.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

friends. How many of us have them?

I wish with all my heart, Simione had someone to play with on a daily basis. My boy loves to play with other kids, but our street has zero kids. Actually, our street has plenty kids but they aren't outside playing. I would randomly see them playing at their front doors when I walk/drive by and I wonder, where the heck did you guys come from? Where have you guys been? Simone would be happy to play with you guys!
Our neighbor across the street has a children and a son his age, but she doesn't let them come outside to play very often because the street is too busy with cars, so they play inside or in their backyard mostly. I don't blame her. I do the same. Our neighbor two houses down also has a son same age as Simione, but they were moving to town and truth is, I haven't seen these ladies and their kids since that ONE day we happen to all be outside playing. My heart skipped a beat, when I saw the kids that day. Alma and I were so excited, he immediately called them over to come see Simione's pet mo'o and then that was it! They played together for the next hour or so. It was nice. Alma, of course, knew the parents, I introduced myself and it was good. Should I have gone over the next day or days and taken Simione to play with them? I feel like I missed the boat for my son. The friendship boat. :(
What's hard is I'm not close to being a social/friend making person. I don't mind being alone. Doing stuff alone. But I'm afraid this type of person I am, has made it increasingly difficult for my own son to make friends. I'm thankful Alma is here. I'm thankful he is NOT like me. In fact, he is the complete opposite. He likes to socialize. He prefers it. I don't. Sometimes I'll be game to going out and socializing, but mostly I prefer to stay home and watch TV. I know, it's lame.
I just had this whole thing pictured in my mind. We would move out to Laie. I would get a calling in church and meet people, Simione would get into headstart and make new friends...blah,blah,blah...
Well, I just got a calling. In fact, it was this past Tuesday I met with the Bishop and I'm getting sustained Sunday. I still don't really know anyone at church. Simone did not qualify for pre school at Laie Elementary (we made too much money last year) and that is the only way he would get accepted. It's a low income program and we cannot afford the other preschool in Hauula, even though he got accepted, and so he has zero friends.
Maybe this is an opportunity for Simione and I to cultivate our relationship? The longer I stay with him, the more I appreciate him and find myself loving him more and more which I did not think it was possible for me to love this boy any more than I already do. He makes my heart smile. Regarding my calling, I just figured the Lord was still prepping me for whatever calling He wanted to give me.
I do have friends, who are my family. They live down the street. They are amazing women and I love hanging out with them. Mostly we just workout together in silence, because none of us can talk/breathe while working out. lol I need to work on my relationship with them. They are the ones I can see myself hanging out with often and learning from and getting close with. Simone will/can make friends whenever he wants. He goes to church. He's still getting used to primary, but he'll get there. As I type this, I am realizing that we are going to be okay. My son is going to be okay. I still can't help but miss my home and my family. Especially the kids. I never had to worry about Simione not having anyone to play with. *sigh* I guess we all have to step out of our comfort zone at some point, right?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're blogging again. Don't worry about my monkey. He will take after his dad and uncle. I can see it in him. You're right, you guys will be just fine. You're still adjusting and it will all take time to get use to. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete